Thursday, June 21, 2012

Road Trip: Warhol Style

Hi!  Today is my day to post as a member of the design team over at She's A Sassy Lady.  I just love being a member of my good friend Sheila's design team.  As many of you know, we live in the same area and have started having card making parties together.  Oh, how I wish you all could join us for the fun!
My post on the Sassy Lady blog is inspired by an upcoming event here in our area. This weekend, the Birmingham Museum of Art will open a new exhibition call Warhol and Cars: American Icons.  I am so excited when we have a new exhibition at the museum, and am especially excited about this one.  I find Any Warhol to be so interesting in so many ways.  And I LOVE his art.

 I decided to create a card in the Warhol style and Great American Road Trip.  Growing up, my family always took long road trips to different parts of our country every summer.  And the earlier trips were taken in cars without air condition. (I know, I'm telling my age)  It is hard to believe now that we would travel with the windows down and our hair blowing.  But we did, and we loved it.

I have committed to not buying any paper this summer.  I am just determined to use up this paper that is taking over my life.  I am sure none of you have this problem. LOL!!  So I can tell you that the entire card was made from paper in my scrap drawer.  The cars were cut from the NIFTY FIFTIES cartridge.  I wanted to make sure I used colors of the time period.  I added Glossy Accents  to the cars so they would look like they had a shinny paint job.  Wouldn't it be fun riding around in one of these classic American cards!!

 The Fifties and Sixties were a wonderful time for the American Automobile.  They were truly works of art.  

The sentiment is a cut from the SUMMER CELEBRATIONS cartridge.  I just loved the font used here and thought it matched the time period perfectly.  

If you get a chance, tell me about your favorite road trip. 






3 comments:

  1. This card is great and I think my mother had a card just like the yellow one and I used to love to go for rides in it as a child too! boy I just aged myself! LOL
    the red one reminds me of my first car, I had a 1963 Buick Electra convertable and I thought I was really something driving it!
    Thanks for sharing this card with us today at She's A Sassy Lady, it really brought back some awesome memories!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic card! How big did you cut the cars? Did you make the background, too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thanks for commenting about the cars. They were cut at 1.25 and the background paper was from my stash drawer. I think it may have been a My Mind's Eye paper.
      Charlotte

      Delete